What do Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors do?
Instruct or coach groups or individuals in exercise activities. Demonstrate techniques and form, observe participants, and explain to them corrective measures necessary to improve their skills.
- Observe participants and inform them of corrective measures necessary for skill improvement.
- Instruct participants in maintaining exertion levels to maximize benefits from exercise routines.
- Offer alternatives during classes to accommodate different levels of fitness.
- Plan routines, choose appropriate music, and choose different movements for each set of muscles, depending on participants' capabilities and limitations.
- Teach proper breathing techniques used during physical exertion.
- Evaluate individuals' abilities, needs, and physical conditions, and develop suitable training programs to meet any special requirements.
- Monitor participants' progress and adapt programs as needed.
- Explain and enforce safety rules and regulations governing sports, recreational activities, and the use of exercise equipment.
- Provide students with information and resources regarding nutrition, weight control, and lifestyle issues.
- Administer emergency first aid, wrap injuries, treat minor chronic disabilities, or refer injured persons to physicians.
- Advise clients about proper clothing and shoes.
- Maintain fitness equipment.
- Teach and demonstrate use of gymnastic and training equipment such as trampolines and weights.
- Plan physical education programs to promote development of participants' physical attributes and social skills.
- Organize, lead, and referee indoor and outdoor games such as volleyball, baseball, and basketball.
- Wrap ankles, fingers, wrists, or other body parts with synthetic skin, gauze, or adhesive tape, to support muscles and ligaments.
- Maintain equipment inventories, and select, store, or issue equipment as needed.
- Teach individual and team sports to participants through instruction and demonstration, utilizing knowledge of sports techniques and of participants' physical capabilities.
- Conduct therapeutic, recreational, or athletic activities.
- Promote health clubs through membership sales, and record member information.
- Massage body parts to relieve soreness, strains, and bruises.
- Advise participants in use of heat or ultraviolet treatments and hot baths.
- Organize and conduct competitions and tournaments.
Related Jobs (Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors)