What do Social and Community Service Managers do?
Plan, direct, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
- Evaluate the work of staff and volunteers to ensure that programs are of appropriate quality and that resources are used effectively.
- Provide direct service and support to individuals or clients, such as handling a referral for child advocacy issues, conducting a needs evaluation, or resolving complaints.
- Recruit, interview, and hire or sign up volunteers and staff.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other agencies and organizations in community to meet community needs and to ensure that services are not duplicated.
- Establish and oversee administrative procedures to meet objectives set by boards of directors or senior management.
- Direct activities of professional and technical staff members and volunteers.
- Plan and administer budgets for programs, equipment and support services.
- Participate in the determination of organizational policies regarding such issues as participant eligibility, program requirements, and program benefits.
- Prepare and maintain records and reports, such as budgets, personnel records, or training manuals.
- Research and analyze member or community needs to determine program directions and goals.
- Implement and evaluate staff, volunteer, or community training programs.
- Represent organizations in relations with governmental and media institutions.
- Act as consultants to agency staff and other community programs regarding the interpretation of program-related federal, state, and county regulations and policies.
- Speak to community groups to explain and interpret agency purposes, programs, and policies.
- Direct fundraising activities and the preparation of public relations materials.
- Analyze proposed legislation, regulations, or rule changes to determine how agency services could be impacted.
Related Jobs (Social and Community Service Managers)